Probably the most important part of gear you are about to buy, is your backpack. So where to start? There are so many sizes, types and different brands that we can image that it is hard to choose! No worries, we are here to help you.
When you look for backpacks, the first thing you notice is the difference in the number of liters. It can reach up to huge backpacks of roughly 100 liters. In most cases you are fine with a backpack from around 60 liters. We recommend a backpack of roughly 50-55 liters for a woman and 60-65 liters for men. Believe us when we say that you have enough space to store your belongings! It is a shame to carry a lot more stuff than you actually need. Often you also have an extra daybag next to your backpack with some weight. Therefore it is important to try to keep the weight in your backpack as low as possible.
For a small trip (Thailand for a month) Eline stored around 7 kilo’s of weight and Joeri stored around 10 kilo’s. For the travel around the world (with both summer and some winter clothes) we nearly stored dubble the amount of kilo’s in the same backpack. Of course is the amount of kilo’s personal and fills everybody their backpack their own way. But then there is an estimation of liters vs. kilo’s.
Some manufacturers offer two types of fits. In addition to the ‘standard’ fit, a ‘ladies’ fit is also available. The manufacturers assumes that women are generally shorter and less wide than the average man. In the ‘ladies’ fit, the backpack as a whole is therefore shorter. Incidentally, the “ladies” fit can also be very suitable for the shorter men among us.
A product of a well-known brand name nowadays does not always mean that you are guaranteed to get better quality, than when you buy a product of a less known brand. With backpacks this is in most cases slightly different. Especially if you plan to travel for a longer period of time or to use your backpack more often for various trips, it is advisable to go for a brand that is known for good quality backpacks. Some well-known brands are: Nomad, Quechua, Osprey, Ubon, The North Face and Fjallraven. In terms of costs you can make it as crazy as you want. Given that we travel on a budget, we limit ourselves to recommendations of high-quality backpacks in the price category up to 150 euros.
Eline uses a 50 liter water-repellent backpack from Quechua for traveling. It’s a functional bag with pockets and easy access. The backpack has compression straps, load adjuster straps and a chest strap for extra support. The backpack weighs only 1.7kg and is therefore a lightweight backpack that is easy to carry.
A backpack of the same brand is used by Joeri for traveling. The 70 liter backpack weighs 1.9kg and also has compression straps, load adjuster straps and a chest strap for extra support.
Our backpacks went on various trips around the world. We are very pleased with the quality-price ratio. It is fair to say that we try to take good care of our backpacks during our travels. Especially by taking the backpack on air travel, wear and tear and general damage can occur. It is therefore advisable to provide your backpack with a flight bag when traveling. This flight bag protects your backpack against wear and can also be closed with a lock and thus protects you against theft. If you do not use a flightback, it is advisable to equip your backpack with a rain cover while traveling, and certainly while flying.
Top 3 budget backpacks for women
We have done some research on which backpacks are populair worldwide and Amazon has summed up their best selling backpacks for woman and man.
1 – Osprey Renn 50L
- Anti-Gravity suspension – feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment allows you to stow your poles in steep terrain or whenever you need your hands free
- Adjustable harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt to dial in perfect fit
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir
- Removable floating top lid with dual zippered pockets and web attachment points
2 – Versant Women’s Backpacking Pack 50L
- Easily customizable for a perfect fit with 12cm/4. 75in of torso and 10cm/4in of hip belt adjustability
- Top lid converts to a sling pack for summit hikes
- Large u-zip panel allows for easy access
- Removable, Versa Click waterproof roll top pocket keeps gear safe from elements (other Versa Click hip belt accessories sold separately)
- Storm guard system of partial rain cover with a waterproof bottom liner that allows easier access, keeps gear drier, and is more durable than a traditional rain cover
- Two attachment loops for hiking poles or ice axes
- Front shove-it pocket for quick access
- Side pockets are easily accessible even with rain cover on
3 – Ubon Internal Frame Backpack 50L
- 5″ high
- 5″ wide
- High-Quality Material: This hiking backpack is made of nice 600D nylon fabric water-and-tear proof and has well stitching and sturdy zippers with long-lasting performance. Perfect backpack for hiking, camping, backpacking, adventure, scout for youth, women, and men.
- Large Capacity: 50L volume. It has one main sleeping pad compartment (50L)，one top lid pocket, one front shove-it pocket and two side mesh water bottle pockets. Great for 2-5 day trips. The main compartment has one laptop pouch and one bellowed divider, the upper part for sleeping pad or other hiking equipment and the lower part for your clothing or shoes. Quick access hip belt pockets are good places to store keys, snacks, or energy gels.
- Ventilation System: the suspended air-mesh panel that spreads the load across your back, allowing for air passage and keeping your back cool.
- Ergonomic Design: The internal frame maximizes the distance between your body and back and transfers stress from back to waist, reduces perspiration, and alleviates tension and strain on the back. Padded shoulder straps and two hip belts help to keep your body balanced even on tough scrambles. Double layered top lid has two pockets each inside and outside. Life-saving whistle on one shoulder for emergency use. Loops for trekking poles on both sides, easy to stow on or off.
- Rain Cover: one rain jacket is integrated inside the zippered bottom pocket. Take it out and cover the whole pack from getting wet when it rains.
Top 3 budget backpacks for men
1 – Teton Sports Mountain Adventurer 65L
- ONE BACKPACK FOR EVERY ADVENTURE: Internal frame backpack for hiking, backpacking, camping and travel; Pack all your backpacking gear in and on this pack
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR FIT: Extra padded split waist band, hip and torso adjustments offer a perfect customizable fit; Unique lumbar adjustment; Travel backpack for men, women and youth
- DURABLE: Strong shell for the most rugged hiking and camping adventures; Multiple compression straps, strong buckles and storm proof zippers; Included rainfly covers you and your backpack
- BUILT FOR COMFORT: Lightweight frame for stability – you feel less of the load; Padded lumbar region sits comfortably on your back; Designed for pros at a price that is friendly to beginners
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
2 – Osprey Farpoint Trek 75L
- Storable Air Cover protects checked luggage and doubles as a rain cover
- Large front panel access that fully opens up for easy packing
- 3. 5mm Light Wire internal frame effectively transfers weight with a padded mesh harness with 4” of size adjustability
- Durable stretch-woven side pockets and zippered hip belt pockets
- Zippered lower compartment with removable divider and vertical and top zippered pockets for storing small item
3 – Topsky Internal Frame Backpack 70L
- drawstring, zipper closure
- 75 centimeters high
- 30 centimeters wide
- Capacity of 70L, could extension to 80L; Size:75cm (H)*30cm (L)*30cm (W),30in(H)*11.7in(L)*11.7in(W)
- Professional TCS carrying adjustable weight decomposition system, the back have S/M/L size, can adjustable according to your height; water repellent surface and come with a rain cover, double waterproof. Chest strap with a lifesaving whistle, good for outdoors.
- Breathable, mesh, widened and thickened S-type strap; air cushion belt suspension system, Internal Frame Pack backpack. SBS zipper, YNS buckle, cold-resistant and securely; Reflective strip design.
- Powerful hanging system, independent end positions, can put shoes, sleeping bags, etc.; daisy chains, D-shape hooks, compression straps, bottom loops, soft latching loops, key rings and bottom straps for hanging tools, trekking pole, tents, sleeping bags, and other accessory.
- High quality professional backpack for camping, hiking and backpacking, functionally versatile. Main compartment with divider, bladder compartment with hydration access, hip-belt pockets, front pockets and side pockets to keep your stuff separate and organized.
This information has been compiled with the utmost care and is based on a comparison of the popularity, quality, possibilities and reviews of users. We hope you find your partner to travel the globe with! If you are looking for a day pack, you can also read our article about choosing the right day pack.